shewolfreads

shewolfreads

Unchained
J. Lynn, Jennifer L. Armentrout
Rebel Child (The Murdoch Vampires, #2)
Kate Eden
The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance - Delilah S. Dawson This is an ARC review. I received a copy of this novella from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.This was another beautiful addition to Delilah S. Dawson’s wonderfully original Blud Series. In THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE, Dawson takes us out of Criminy Stain’s caravan and sets us in the London of the Blud world. Here we meet Frannie Pleasance, a pet shop owner, dealing with the loss of her family and trying dearly to protect a secret.What I love about this series is the world. Every time I open one of Dawson’s Blud stories, it feels like sinking into a dream. The world is dark but whimsical, and through her characters there is always a tenderness and pure romanticism that is achingly beautiful. In this particular story, we see this through the budding relationship between Frannie and Thom Maccallan, a fireman that helps save her house and shop from burning down. He’s also Scottish and wears a kilt, which are always big plusses in my book. Their connection is immediate and he sees in Frannie someone who may need his protection and so begins the very sweet dance of two lonely hearts coming together.In the background is Caspar, a side character in the first book in the series, who is also interested in Frannie. I was hoping that Dawson wouldn’t make this into a novella about a tired love triangle. What Dawson does is better and I love that Frannie knows her mind, doesn’t fall for the wrong guy, and is just so darned independent that it makes you smile and cheer for her. Frannie’s desperate to protect a secret and when you find out what that secret is, it’s an enchanting moment, a bit of light in the murkiness that is Dawson’s London. In a way, I think you may have to read WICKED AS SHE WANTS, the first book in the series, to fully appreciate what Frannie is protecting only because in that book you get a better sense of the darkness that is the Blud world.Someone is out to get Frannie and you’re not sure why. The novella is well-paced in uncovering the mystery of it, and opening up a new one, and the conclusion is definitely satisfying.If you haven’t read this series, I really wish you would. I am honestly swept away by the whimsy and the darkness of this world every time I read one of its stories. This review comes courtesy of the blog, She-Wolf Reads.