shewolfreads

shewolfreads

Unchained
J. Lynn, Jennifer L. Armentrout
Rebel Child (The Murdoch Vampires, #2)
Kate Eden
The Thirteen - Susie Moloney This book was described as “The Witches of Eastwick” meets “Desperate Housewives.” The minute I read that description I was interested in discovering what kind of world I would find in The Thirteen. Unfortunately, while I think Moloney was able to hit some good notes in this book, overall, it was a bit disappointing.What I really liked about The Thirteen, and what worked for me in the novel as a whole, was its utter creepiness. There were some really unsettling scenes and sinister imagery – fingers falling off, a woman slowly turning into goat, a house full of blood, whispers, ghosts and demons. Actually, now that I write that it sounds a bit ridiculous but believe me when I say that these scenes are well done and hit the perfect note of horror, leaving you a little unsettled yet curious to see what happens next to these characters.Unfortunately, you have to read more than half the book to get to that point. Moloney takes her time developing this story. We spend most of it with Paula and her tortured thoughts of the past, her fears for the future, and her ruminations on the summer that changed her life forever. I felt like I had to push through more than 50% of the book (read it on a Kindle) before I felt like the pace started to pick up and we started to learn more about the sinister plans in store for Paula and her daughter Rowan. I think this book could have been much more effective had it been edited down so that the pace felt a little faster.Paula’s obliviousness to the weirdness around her also bothered me. There are several scenes with weird exchanges with her mother’s friends that scream, “Something is not right here!” But Paula seems totally unaware of it. And Rowan, who is more tuned into the psycho flags being waved around, does not really push her mom to recognize the utter strangeness of Haven Woods and its inhabitants. Wouldn’t you notice an empty hospital while visiting a patient? And wouldn’t that make you question what’s going on around you? I simply could not suspend my disbelief on this point.Finally, the ending. There is a bit of a twist there that I won’t reveal but I would love to speak to someone who has read this and get his/her take on it. I might be a bit dense but I did not fully understand the implications of it. It felt like it came out of nowhere yet it was a twist that I think could only be believable had there been some clues laid out through the story.All in all, The Thirteen had a creepiness that was effectively unsettling but was too slow paced to really sustain an overall interest.Please stop by www.shewolfreads.com for more reviews!